Monday, September 3, 2012

"We are destined for this"


“…to establish and exhort you in your faith, that no one be moved by these afflictions.  For you yourselves know that we are destined for this.  For when we were with you, we kept telling you beforehand that we were to suffer affliction, just as it has come to pass, and just as you know.”
1 Thessalonians 3:2-4

I continue to be impressed by the thought that ‘this was no accident.’ –That Mary’s vial of perfume was always meant to be shattered and poured out at Jesus’ feet.  –That Cora was always meant to go directly to Heaven.  –And that we would have to “sacrifice” her in our hearts to the Lord.

"We are destined for this."  God knew this would happen.  Whether he cause it or allowed it doesn't matter to me.  They essentially are the same.  They both imply that if God is in control (and I believe he is), he knew already (or planned beforehand) that we would lose Cora.  It was destined, as Paul says regarding affliction in 1 Thessalonians.

In these thoughts I start to get the tiniest inkling of the "why" or at least a hint of the purpose for this "tragedy." 

First of all, is it really tragedy if losing Cora is what God had planned, if it's what he had purposed all along?  Yes, from our earthly, human perspective this is definitely a tragedy.  No parent should have to experience the emotional whiplash of joyous expectation being turned into bewildering pain and sorrow at the loss of a baby.  Being denied the reward of a precious child after nine months of pregnancy is truly devastating, and we should mourn...we DO mourn that loss.

However, aren't we as Christians called to have the mind of Christ, an eternal perspective?  We are told that in this life we see "only through a mirror dimly."  I realize that my perspective is so very limited.  Attempting to peer through the lens of eternity, I begin to find comfort knowing that Cora never had to battle with sin, never had to experience the wickedness of this world, never had to know hurt or sorrow.  Instead, she knew only love here on earth and now knows nothing put perfection in the presence of Jesus.  With that in mind, isn't Cora fulfilling God's perfect and good will for her life?  And if so, then is it really a tragedy in an eternal sense?  No way!  As a parent who wants the Best for her child, I can't imagine any better outcome for Cora's soul.  I praise God that she was ushered immediately into Glory.  Cora's destiny was to meet Jesus face to face; to know him, worship him and be loved by him.  What a high calling and what a good God!

I'm still struggling to praise God for our destiny, being the bereaved parents who are left behind, but there is comfort in knowing that the Lord, in his sovereignty, has a purpose for Evan and me in this.  I finally want to get in line with his purpose for my life, my destiny.




2 comments:

AliciaPino said...

I am always so encouraged by your insight and strength. I love your comments how Cora was destined for love and she never had to experience pain or sin. She is a jewel in his crown =)

Cindy said...

Joy, I weep every time I read one of your blog entries. It "is" very painful to watch your children suffer. What a perspective that Cora did not have to suffer in that way. Your longing to see your destiny is such a common theme for all of us. Yet, you are having to suffer greatly in the journey to find it. Thank you for including me in this journey with your transparent thoughts. Give Evan my love.